I often hear Obama and the Dems say that “Obama got a mandate from Americans” via the 2012 election. They usually say this when they’re trying to push through an unpopular policy.
I decided to Google the actual count of potential voters versus those that actually voted for Obama. Because the data comes from a couple of sources, the numbers don’t exactly match but they’re close.
- 215 million people were eligible to vote
- 153 million were registered to vote
- 132 million votes were actually cast
- 62 million voted for Obama
- 59 million voted for Romney
That means that Obama was chosen by only 29% of eligible voters or 41% of registered voters. Thus, the data doesn’t support the Dems claims of “Americans gave Obama a mandate”. Remember that the next time you hear the Dems’ rhetoric.
ANY GOOGLE ADS SHOWN BELOW ARE NOT SPONSORED BY THIS BLOG.